We spend a good proportion of our time helping small business owners like you stretch your day and boost productivity. With our support people work smarter, not harder. And there’s an extra benefit you might not have thought about. When you’re productive, manage your time skilfully and increase your productivity, it makes you feel happier.
Why does happiness matter in a business context? It’s actually important in every context because it makes you feel life is worthwhile, inspires you to greater things, encourages you to explore new possibilities, drives you to chase new potential and generally increases your confidence in your self and your business.
Here are 20 ways to be happier, smarter and even more productive
- Hang onto the tasks you enjoy, hand over those you hate to a VA – life is far too short to torment yourself with the aspects of running a business that you have no taste or talent for
- Don’t wait for the ‘perfect time’ to do something radical. There’s no such thing as the perfect time. JFDI!
- Mess means stress. Clear up your workspace. If you’re a natural clutter bunny, schedule a six monthly clear-out with us and we’ll come and de-clutter you
- Set clear, achievable, SMART goals
- Jot your goals down and pin them next to your desk, or type them up and use the document a your screen saver so it’s there all the time to remind you where your focus belongs
- Say no to meetings unless hooking up face to face is absolutely essential
- If you ‘do’ meetings, facilitate them professionally so they are as short and incisive as possible
- Put in place a bunch of simple yet effective procedures to handle everyday tasks regularly, logically, efficiently and effectively
- Every time you interact with this person, you feel depressed. They bring you down. They throw cold water on your ideas. They discourage you. Make a mental note to either ignore or get rid of negative energy-sappers and nay-sayers
- Is there anything you’ve been doing that you should really stop doing? It’s often really useful to examine your ‘to do’ list and be merciless about what you really need to do and what is just a habit
- Keep your filing and systems in apple pie order so you’re always up to date with admin
- Work for an hour then have a ten minute break. Having a small rest every hour helps you remember and understand information, spot mistakes and have off-the-wall ideas as well as recharging your mental batteries
- Don’t be available all the time. Choose times of day when you are not to be disturbed and keep it sacrosanct. It’s impossible to be efficient and effective when you’re constantly being interrupted
- Set a reasonable timescale to tackle a task, stick to it and complete it. Giving yourself a deadline means you’re less likely to wander off piste or make too much of a meal of it
- Insist on a sensible work-life balance. You will probably end up getting more done working a regular 9-5 than always working long hours
- Outsource as much of the basic stuff as you can
- Learn the art of saying no. Being too busy, run off your feet all the time, isn’t a good way to run a business. It means you are much more likely to make mistakes
- Go for a brisk 15 minute walk at lunchtime. If you’ve never done it before, you’ll be amazed how it frees your brain, lets great ideas come through and refreshes your spirit
- Figure out the top 3 things you do that generate the most income… and do more of them
- Collect together all your little regular tasks and do them all at once in a chunk instead of interrupting yourself again and again, as and when they arise
If you’re struggling to get your act together, too time-poor to take a breath and change the way you do things for the better, call us in and we’ll help you de-clutter, organise yourself and get your business priorities straight.